Spring Hill Academy

While no longer standing, the Spring Hill Baptist Church and the Spring Hill Academy (built in 1820) once shared property with the Richmond Temperance Hall (still in place):  Spring Hill Baptist Church, encouraging literacy to promote reading and understanding of the Bible; Spring Hill Academy, setting high academic standards; and the Richmond Temperance and Literary Society, using debate and literary scholarship to avoid the destructive lure of alcohol, formed a great synergy. 

That synergy enabled this area’s early settlers and their descendants to become authors, doctors, lawyers, clergy, historians, poets, musicians, and legislators.

Listen to audio overviews of Spring Hill:


Listen to “Old Spring Hill”


Listen to “SunBurnt Boys”


Listen to “Sundown”



Hwy 401 – Old Wire Rd. & Sallie McNair Rd., Wagram 

Preserving Our History

This photo of one of the earliest classes at the Academy shows the ancestry of many families that still call the area home.