Stewartsville Cemetery Rd., Laurinburg
Go south on Main Street.
Turn left onto E. Church.
Go 3.8 miles and turn right on Rocky Ford.
Proceed 1.3 miles and turn left on Stewartsville Cemetery Rd.
Cemetery is .4 miles on left.
Those that visit here also visit:
Located four miles southeast of Laurinburg, this Revolutionary-era cemetery is named for Stewartsville, the settlement named after James Stewart, builder of the nearby home bearing his name. History buffs, ghost hunters, and gravestone tracers will derive an eerie pleasure from a visit.
Founded in 1785, Stewartsville Cemetery is one of the few burial grounds that honors blacks, whites, and native Americans alike. Many of the earliest graves have simple markers bearing neither names nor dates.
One marker is that of Rev. Archibald McQueen, who served the Old Laurel Hill and Smyrna churches., and who was forced to resign after marrying his deceased wife’s sister. An even more macabre tale is that of the Reverend Colin Lindsay, who was reputed to have been born after his mother was buried! (According to legend, several years before Lindsay was born, his mother was prematurely buried. When grave robbers tried to pry the rings off her fingers, she woke, spooking the frightened robbers.)
The cemetery also reflects the region’s Scottish heritage, as many of the dead were settlers from Appin Agryllshire in the Scottish Highlands who fled persecution in the 1780s.